Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Adventures in Song


I can't sing. I've been tone-deaf my entire life. Well, technically I'm not tone deaf because I can tell when two pitches don't match but I can't tell when my pitch doesn't match. I'm missing something between my head and my ear so that when I sing, I think I sound great. I can tell I don't sound great because everyone else in the room cringes.

Learning to sing has been one of those 'it's on my to-do list' items. But when I turned 40, I realized that I had better start crossing stuff off that list or I'd never get anything done. The price of singing lessons always held me back though. I didn't want to spend $20 or $30 on a weekly lesson when I can't even match pitch. So, during Candide I asked the musical director if he had any ideas. He suggested software that could tell me if I was on pitch or not. Brian looked into it and found me "Singing Coach." It's a program to help me learn to stay on pitch. It's a bit cheesy with Mic, the singing microphone introducing all the lessons.

I start out by humming pitches and I'm quite good at that which really boosted my confidence. My downfall comes when it's time to sing songs. The first song, Hot Cross Buns, was disaster. The computer shows me when I'm too sharp or flat for each note and I was all over the place. But I'm trying to stick with it. I keep telling myself to give it time; I've spent 40 years on the wrong note, I won't become singing sensation overnight. Today Mic the singing microphone, tomorrow, Broadway! I don't think so. Besides, I'd have to learn how to act and dance as well.

But I am wondering, how long does it take to teach an old dog new tricks?

No comments:

Post a Comment