Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Busy, Busy, Busy

Do you remember the ending of Frosty the Snowman when the magician, who has been after Frosty's hat, meets Santa? Santa tells the magician he has to go home and write "I'm very sorry for what I did to Frosty," a hundred zillion times. The magician runs off saying, "I'm going to be busy, busy busy." I always think of that phrase when I have a lot to do, which I did this past week.

This past week, I volunteered on a Habitat for Humanity house. It was me and a bunch of guys who clearly knew what they were doing. But, they were so very nice and patient as they taught me about measuring and molding. They encouraged me to do everything. I drew the line at using the saw though; power tools scare me.

I also volunteered for the Philadelphia Marathon. Last year, I spent the morning of the marathon handing out Gatorade and water to the finishers. But Brian ran the half-marathon this year, so I volunteered for the expo on the Friday before. My job was to hand out Fan Cards which gave discounts at area restaurants and businesses. Again, I had a great time. I met some really cool women, got a t-shirt and a sweatshirt, and had the time to shop for new running sneakers.

Plus, I had lunch with a friend from People's Light, baked a bunch of bread, and decided I needed to make Cassoulet. Cassoulet is a French peasant dish that takes 3 days to make, if you're making your own duck confit, and let's face it homemade duck confit is the way to go.

Many times during the past week I thought, 'How did I get myself into this?' But therein lies the answer--I got myself into this. I chose to participate in all these activities; no one told me I had to do any of these things. So while I might have been a bit overwhelmed, I am grateful that I had the time and options to do all of it. Not everyone has the luxury to volunteer or cook elaborate meals or even have lunch with a friend. Yes, I was busy, busy, busy but I'm also very lucky, lucky, lucky.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post. I love the fact that you are volunteering on your off time, when I know that there are lots of things you could be doing instead. And to recognize that you chose to be so busy is amazing as well. Yay, you!

    ReplyDelete