Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Shopping: Bring on the Frump

I hate shopping.  Really, really, really.  Okay, maybe only two reallys because sometimes I'm on a roll and I find fantastic deals that look good on me.   But not often. 

I even hate grocery shopping.  Every Sunday, I scour cookbooks and the weekly ads for stuff to make for the week.  I don't mind the cooking, it's the deciding and shopping that sucks.

The problem with my abhorrence of clothes shopping is that I end up looking frumpy all the time.  I don't like to spend a lot of money on clothes so I'll buy something inexpensive and then get it home and realize that I just look like a frump in it.  But I can't, just can't bring myself to spend $35 on a shirt.  A shirt?  That I'm going to stain?  Not so much.

My daughter, however, LOVES shopping.  It kills me.  One day, I took her and friend to the mall.  Clara had saved up a lot of money to spend that day.  However, it took her 4 hours to spend it all.  I'm not ready to leave her alone at the mall so I hung around, checking out shops and texting her.  Three hours in, I was at one of the restaurants having a beer.  In my defense, I stuck it out as long as I could.  That apple fell far from my tree.

Here's where I think I go wrong:  I tend to look for a specific item when the stores no longer carry them.  Take today, I was looking for some long sleeve, v neck, t-shirts.  I had just seen them the other week --or was it the other month-- in a few stores so I thought I'd find them quickly.  But no.  Didn't find any.  Or, okay, I found a few but none in my size.  Oh, unless I wanted to spend $40.  For a shirt?  I'd rather be frumpy.

So here's the deal:  I'm bringing frumpiness back!  Fergie can be Fergalicious so whyI can't I be frumpalicious? I'm starting a fashion revolution!

5 comments:

  1. i hate shopping...really...if i get sent grocery i usually end up in the fetal position...i cant find anything...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd rather shop for a steller aubergine than a shirt or another item...I sometimes wish I could afford a personal shopper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, me too. I just can't be bothered and when I do bother, it seems the stuff never looks any good once I get it home. Bah! Humbug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love shopping. No more. I'm totally with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my Downfall is thinking it will look the same on me as the dummy in the window!

    ReplyDelete