Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Fantasy Island

I have this fantasy.

It involves food.

But it's not what you think.

Over the years, I have subscribed to Bon Appetit and Gourmet magazine at various times. Every few issues or so they include an article about kitchens: green kitchens, gourmet kitchen, small space kitchens, etc. The kitchens are gorgeous and supposedly, if you believe what you read, actual kitchens that regular people cook in.

After reading such an article, I imagine myself in one of these pimped-out kitchens. Usually, there is an island at which one of my friends is sitting, maybe enjoying a glass of wine. Perhaps, tons of friends are over for a semi reunion weekend a la The Big Chill. Only without the dead person because that's just such a downer. But we do have a cool sound-track, updated for my era; I'm thinking Talking Heads, David Bowie, etc.

I'm gliding about my kitchen chopping vegetables and chatting and maybe Brian's manning the grill on our multi-layered back porch...complete with hot tub. Friends are bringing in fresh produce, a dance breaks out....

The latest kitchen I've been dreaming about has these gorgeous avocado cabinets that slide to hide appliances. Can you imagine? Miles of uncluttered counter space (or a few feet anyway) for people to comfortably prep the veggies and meats.
This kitchen also boasts a built-in coffee maker. It fits into the wall allowing extra kitchen space. I'm not so sure I need this because I prefer using a French press which leads to another fantasy. When I use it, I'm instantly transported to a small table at a cafe in Paris, sipping coffee and reading Le Monde (in my fantasy life, I'm fluent in french). Then, I hear in the distance: "Mom! There's no more cereal!"

And, reality come crashing through the door: out goes the cafe in Paris, out goes the avocado cabinets and miles of clear counter space, and out goes my island, my friends, and my cool sound-track.

Brian and I have thought about re-doing our kitchen but we've ultimately decided against it. And, seriously, I'm glad we're not re-doing it. I mean, what would I fantasize about then....

No comments:

Post a Comment