Saturday, July 26, 2008

Procrastination is Making Me Wait

I went down to the Arden the other day to say hi, get the groundplans for Candide and chit-chat. Starting a show, since I don't do them on a regular basis, is like getting into the water for me. It takes me about 20 minutes to get into the pool. I walk in slowly getting used to it. The rest of my family jumps right in and can't understand why I take so long. Well, it's the same thing for a show; I need time to ruminate about it before I do anything. Unfortunately, this show doesn't allow a lot of leeway in the "ruminate" department.


I popped into the production, office, saw the model of the set, and read the plans for the trap doors, the falling snow and the orchestra. And then I panicked.


"Why did I say yes to this show?" I asked Courtney Riggar, the Production Manager.


She just laughed but I was serious. I've never done a show this big. It's like Broadway without the pay.
  • 20 in the cast
  • An orchestra
  • Body Mics
  • Snow falling from the rafters
  • 4 follow spots
  • Mops popping up out of the floor
  • Things that go bump in the night

Well, perhaps not bump in the night but I can't be sure; I didn't actually get through all the special effects.


The Assistant Production Manager, Jessi West, said I'd kick this show in the ass. Well, we'll see after it's all said and done.


So now, I'm sitting here drinking wine and instead of updating contact sheets, and pouring over scene breakdowns, I'm just panicking. I'm on the third step of the pool and it's time to just jump in.


Sink or swim, there is no getting out of the pool now.

No comments:

Post a Comment